Sunday, September 14, 2014

Energy Pyramid



In our model, energy is represented by: Red Beans.
Trophic levels are represented by: Tubs.

In the first step of my procedure, I placed 200 beans in one of the tubs.
The second step consisted of reducing the energy flow by 90%, resulting in a remainder of 20 beans in the second tub.
For the third step I reduced 90% from the remaining 20 beans. This left the third tub with 2 beans.
I then reduced the 2 remaining beans by 90%, reducing the energy flow to 0.2 of a bean in the fourth tub.
For the fifth and final step in my procedure I reduced the 0.2 by 90%, this resulted in 0.02 of a bean in the fifth tub. 
An example of high quality energy is electricity. It has the ability to be converted to different types of energy, like electric motors or heating water. 
Because high quality energy is not able to be created or destroyed a portion of is released as heat, with each transfer. This means every time energy is transferred it becomes lower in quality.
We could potentially run out of high energy for the “levels” because as it says in our textbook, “as energy flows through ecosystems in food chains and webs, there is a decrease in the amount of high-quality chemical energy available to organisms at each succeeding feeding level, (p. 63). 
In terms of interacting with energy in a sustainable way, it is important to understand the way the food chain works so that we can hopefully lessen our harm on the environment.
Step one: I placed 200 red beans in the first tub.

Step two: I place 20 beans in the second tub.

Step three: I placed 2 beans in the third tub.

Step four: I placed 0.2 of a bean in the fourth tub.

Step five: I placed 0.02 of a bean in the fifth tub.

No comments:

Post a Comment