Saturday, October 11, 2014

Measurements and Field Method Lab.

For the first step of this lab, I took 16.2 meters of rope-like string and made it into a square (Quadrat).





For the second step I placed six more pieces of string inside the Quadrat, separating it into 16 parts.




For the fourth step, I used the random number generator and selected 8 of the sections to catagorize the species within that area. The following is what we found in each of the sections. We couldn't figure out the "real name" for most of these, so we just went with what we thought they were or looked like.

Section 2 had 4 species: goat heads, fake grass, white-flowered plant, fuzzy ground-crawler. In this section all the plants were randomly dispersed.

Section 12 had 6 species:  ivy plant, fake grass, goat heads, fuzzy ground-crawler, fake wheat white-flowered plant. In this section the fake grass, white-flowered plant and goat heads were clumped and the rest of the plants were random.

Section 3 had 5 species: fake grass, goat heads, fuzzy ground-crawler, fake wheat, lemon leaf weed. In this section the goat heads, fake grass and ground crawler were clumped and all the rest of the plants were random.

Section 9 had 6 species: Tiny Elm tree, goat heads, fake wheat fake grass, fuzzy ground-crawler, fake yellow daisy. In this section the daisy was clumped, the goat heads were regular and all the rest were random.

Section 15 had 5 species: goat heads, fake daisy, fake wheat, fake grass, white-flowered plant. In this

Section the fake wheat and grass were clumped and all the rest were random.

Section 4 had 3 species: fake grass, goat heads, and fuzzy ground-crawler. In this section the crawler was clumped and the rest were random.

Section 14 had 4 species: goat heads, fake grass, fake wheat, white-flowered plant. In this section the goat heads and fake grass were clumped and all the rest were random.

Section 10 had 5 species: fake wheat, fake grass, goat heads, fake daisy, fuzzy long stemmed plant and wish plant.  In this section the long stem and goat heads were clumped and the rest were random.

For the fifth and final step in this report we took the string and took it so it extended in a line.
The pants that intersected were: fake wheat, goat heads, fake daisy, fake grass, and the ground crawler. It was all randomly dispersed.

I am handicapped, so I chose a sight that would be easiest for me to use: my yard. I didn't necessarily discover any "biases" but I am used to seeing it every day so, it surprised me that there were so many different plants.
The first method definitely seemed more beneficial. It captured more species and had a wider net, so to speak.
I probably wouldn't change anything about either method. They each provided a unique way of looking at the different species.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment